You are here: What’s the difference between an architect, architectural technologist, an architectural designer or technician?

For domestic building projects it’s always worthwhile using a professional. An Architect will be registered with the RIBA, a Chartered Technologist with the CIAT and a designer or technician may have a degree, diploma or sometimes just experience in their field. They can help you establish your brief, budget, planning constraints, building regs, help you select a builder and inspect their work.

Before selecting your professional it’s worth checking out all your options, ask for examples of work, testimonials and recent planning consents.


To call yourself an architect in the UK you must be registered with the Architect’s Registration Board (ARB), who is there to protect your interests as a member of the public. It’s members must adhere to their professional code of conduct. You can check whether your ‘architect’ really is an architect on their website here: Some architects also subscribe each year to be a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).

Typically, it takes an architect seven years to qualify, following a combination of theoretical and practical training, so you can be assured of their professional competence to deliver your project. The Architect’s Registration board also stipulates that its members must hold adequate insurance. However, it is always worthwhile double checking this with your architect before they start work.

Architects are able to offer you ‘full services’, from concept design to detailed construction drawings and specifications, but can also administer the contract between you and your builder throughout the construction phase.


Architectural Technologists also have a professional body – Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), who have a similar Code of Conduct for its members as the ARB. Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT members can offer and deliver ‘the full range of architectural services’ akin to that of an architect as mentioned above. As with the ARB, CIAT also stipulates that its technologist members hold adequate insurance/s. Typically it will take approximately 5-6 years to qualify.

Interior Design by Lewis Visuals
Photo supplied by Lewis Visuals

Photo supplied by Lewis Visuals


The services that they would provide for a domestic project are broadly very similar. As a broad brush attempt to differentiate, architects are generally more ‘design led’ with greater interest, experience and training in the aesthetic and spatial qualities of a project. Whereas architectural technologists have often had more experience and training in the science and technology of building, e.g. how and why they are constructed in a certain way, using certain materials.

However, there are certainly many architects who are highly technical in their approach and many technologists who are very creative, so individuals should be considered on their own merit.



Do not have to be registered with CIAT to describe themselves as such and may or may not have academic qualifications or experience to offer design services. 


are partially qualified architects (note, so not architects). Similar to architectural technicians, they will usually work within a practice under the direction of an architect.

Design by Lewis Visuals
Photo supplied by Lewis Visuals

Photo supplied by Lewis Visuals


This is really a broad term covering all of the above and the title is not protected by a regulatory body. Therefore the title could apply to those with an architectural qualification as mentioned above… or in some cases, none at all. Qualifications, experience and expertise will vary from person to person. So, here are a few things to consider/ questions to ask when appointing any architectural design professional below

  1. Do they hold professional qualifications demonstrating their competence to deliver your project?
  2. Are they registered with the any of the following: ARB, RIBA or CIAT?
  3. Do they hold adequate insurance to protect you from errors in their work (Professional Indemnity Insurance)?
  4. If they do not hold adequate professional indemnity insurance, their drawings and specifications should not be used for construction. Instead, the design liability could be passed onto your contractor (builder). For example, the architectural designer could prepare preliminary drawings for planning only. Then, the contractor can develop the design into construction drawings and take responsibility under their insurance.
  5. Have they done similar projects before? Ask to see examples when you meet and get references from their past clients.

Article written by Lewis Visuals

If you are looking for help with a building project, you may need help from some of the following experts. Clicking on the links below will instantly give you contact details for Experts in your local area: